After having finished up testing of the joystick circuit and arduino interface and structure, I ordered a few more for the final project. My only mistake in using these came when I began to think about how they would be installed into the housings. In the case of these joysticks, there are two tabs that was sticking up approximately 1/4 of an inch above the mounting surface of the joystick. They’re for limiting or shifting the potentiometers range (both on the x and the y axis). Which is interesting in theory, but caused some issues with both the arduino programming and obviously now, the installation design. After some thought, I’ve decided to take a hacksaw to the tabs and remove them entirely before re-super-gluing the tabs in place so that each potentiometer has generally the same range of resistance.
This weekend is all about the joysticks and the arduino control box being built. All the parts have finally arrived and I can begin in earnest on both sets of tasks on Saturday before moving on to the final few circuits that are needed to round out this piece.